It’s no secret that the ocean is suffering from our excessive amounts of trash and waste. The ocean has become home to tons of plastic that harm both sea life and human life. Here are a few fast trash facts from the Ocean Health Index:

● About 60 to 80 percent of all marine debris is composed of plastic

● About 80 percent of all marine debris originates from sources of land while the other 20 percent comes from ocean vessels

● Although cruise ships represents only 1 percent of marine vessels, they’re responsible for 25 percent of ship-sourced waste

All that is to say that humans produce a lot of trash that ends up in the ocean. However, there are several groups who are looking to tackle our massive ocean trash dilemma. Adidas started making shoes from upcycled ocean plastic and the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) started creating face masks out of ocean waste. 4ocean is another great organization that’s on a mission to cover and recycle ocean plastic in addition to advocating for sustainable innovation and reduced single-use plastic consumption.

In addition to these groups, there are many others who are working to remove ocean trash on a mass scale. This Florida Panhandle infographic takes a look at innovative ways we’re looking to combat ocean trash. From magnetic coils to massive trash wheels, inventors and scientists alike have found many ways to clean up all of the waste in the ocean. Look through the full infographic below to learn about the inventions used to tackle trash.


ways we’re cleaning the ocean infographic</