The Environmental Research and Education Foundation (EREF), in collaboration with the California Refuse Recycling Council (CRRC), will be holding a Regional Summit on Sustainable Solid Waste Practices & Research on July 16 – 17, 2015 at The Sheraton San Jose in Milpitas, CA. The Regional Summit will focus on Organics Management. Suitable for executives, managers, technical personnel, regulators and consultants, EREF’s Regional Summits present key solid waste research findings and highlight impacts on practice as well as provide updates on legislative activities/policy as they relate to needed research. Thursday, July 16 will feature the following site visits:
- SAFE / Sustainable Organics Solutions (SOS) operation housed at Garden City Sanitation in Santa Clara: Attendees will observe how SOS equipment transforms pre-processed food scraps into a dry feed for animals
- Zanker Recycling and Zero Waste Energy Development Company: This visit will feature a drive through one of the largest C&D processing facilities in the country followed by a tour through the world’s largest dry anaerobic digestion facility that uses a patented dry fermentation process to create electricity from organic waste
On Friday, July 17 attendees will hear from industry experts and scientists conducting cutting edge research in the field of organic solid waste management. Tentative topics include:
- Composting MSW Organics: Current Challenges & Future Trends
- State of Practice for Anaerobic Digestion of MSW Organics on the West Coast and Beyond
- Impact of California’s air regulations on solid waste management
- Enhancing anaerobic digestion of the organics fraction of MSW
and many more… “The CRRC is thrilled to be partnering with EREF on this event,” said Trish Roath, Northern District Executive Director. “EREF is the only organization of its kind dedicated to solid waste research and this event will help our members navigate the operational and regulatory aspects of managing organics.” The cost to register for the EREF Regional Summit is $200 for consultants/industry personnel, $25 for federal/state/local agencies/non-profits and $15 for academia and students. Sponsorship opportunities are available.
For more information, visit www.erefdn.org.