In the wake of COVID-19, the planet needs protection from the surge of improperly discarded personal protective equipment (PPE) that is leaking into marine environments and posing serious hazards to ocean wildlife. TerraCycle’s Zero Waste Boxes provide a convenient recycling solution for all types of single-use PPE, which are not recyclable through conventional recycling facilities. When placed in public spaces such as grocery stores, big-box stores and parks, Zero Waste Boxes encourage people to responsibly dispose of their protective gear instead of tossing items on the ground.
To recycle PPE waste, TerraCycle offers the following Zero Waste Boxes:
- Safety Equipment and Protective Gear Zero Waste Boxes – to recycle disposable safety gear including garments, gloves, masks and safety glasses.
- Disposable Garments Zero Waste Box – to recycle chemical protection suits, flame resistant suits, and smocks.
- Disposable Gloves Zero Waste Box – to recycle vinyl, nitrile, and latex gloves.
- Disposable Masks Zero Waste Box – to recycle surgical and industrial face masks.
For large-scale recycling solutions, TerraCycle offers the following Zero Waste Pallets:
- Safety Equipment and Protective Gear Zero Waste Pallet
- Disposable Garments Zero Waste Pallet
- Disposable Gloves Zero Waste Pallet
When full, the boxes can be returned to TerraCycle for processing and the collected waste will be cleaned, melted and remolded to make new products. TerraCycle, the world’s leader in the collection and repurposing of complex waste streams, created the Zero Waste Box program to provide solutions for difficult-to-recycle waste that cannot be recycled through TerraCycle’s brand-sponsored, national recycling programs or via standard municipal recycling.
All Zero Waste Boxes are sealed while in transit, limiting any possibility of contamination. The boxes travel for up to a week before they are received at TerraCycle facilities, where additional safety precautions are taken in accordance with CDC recommendations. The Zero Waste Box program does not accept medical waste or biohazardous materials. “During this time of uncertainty, our Zero Waste Box program provides easy solutions for keeping waste out of landfills and paving the way for a greener future,” says Tom Szaky, CEO and founder of TerraCycle. “Our goal is for all consumers to engage with TerraCycle recycling programs in a safe manner.”