Thanks to the generous support of Waste Management, eligible students can get help paying for their tuition and materials as they earn a degree or certificate in these high-demand Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics fields:
- Diesel Technology
- Commercial Driver’s License A (for driving such as tractor trailers or semi-trailers)
- Commercial Driver’s License B (for driving vehicles like trucks and buses)
The Waste Management scholarship covers certifications as well as an Associate’s degree. It covers materials for anyone. Qualified students can get help paying their tuition for college credit courses that lead to a basic certificate, advanced certificate, associate degree, or non-credit continuing education classes for CDL A & B or Diesel Technology. Students admitted to the program and who maintain the eligibility criteria will be supported for up to two semesters.
Students that may need equipment or tools can receive assistance through this grant. The maximum received per student is $5,000 (scholarship and grant total).
Who Can Apply?
A qualified candidate is:
- A current, returning, or prospective student at Olive-Harvey College.
- Interested in:
- Earning the basic certificate, advanced certificate, or degree in diesel technology; OR interested in earning a basic certificate in CDL A or B; OR interested in taking continuing educations classes that are diesel technology or CDL-focused.
To receive a second semester of scholarship funds the student will have a minimum grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent.
- Scholarship funds can only be used to pay for tuition and books.
- Grant funds can only be used to pay for equipment or tools.
- Eligible students may receive a scholarship, a grant, or both –not to exceed $5,000 in funding total.
- Awards will be determined by a Scholarship Committee, who may require additional information of finalist candidates.
“This generous contribution from Waste Management to our Foundation will transform lives, and we here at City Colleges of Chicago are very excited about our partnership with Waste Management,” said Cheryl Freeman, Dean of College to Careers at Olive-Harvey College. “This generous scholarship will provide students the ability to secure CDL A, CDL B and Diesel technician training without having the barrier and worry about how they will pay for their courses. Not only will the scholarship pay for tuition books and fees, but it will help our students purchase their tools. This will go a long way in supporting our students and help them take advantage of the employment opportunities in these high-demand fields.”