Autocar’s state-of-the-art ACX severe duty cabover chassis equipped with the Advanced Driver-Assistance System (ADAS), has officially hit the road in Southwest Florida. Waste Pro was the first garbage hauler to purchase these trucks in 2020 with the goal of protecting its drivers and is now first to take delivery of the system.
Enhanced with ADAS, this new chassis sets a new standard for safety features including:
- Electronic Stability Control System (ESC): Actively intervenes when the vehicle is understeering or oversteering in order to maintain vehicle stability – intended to reduce the skidding or slipping on wet surfaces
- Rollover Stability Control System (RSC): Actively intervenes when the vehicle is at risk of a driver-induced, rollover event
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW): Driver visibly and audibly warned of impending collision
- Advanced Emergency Braking System (AEBS): Vehicle detects impending forward collision and actively engages emergency brakes
- Stationary Merge Assistant (SMA): Visibly and audibly warns the driver of a vehicle in blind spot at 0 mph
- Blind Spot Detection (BSD): Flashing light located on the A-pillar warns the driver of a vehicle in the blind spot(s)
Training on a new front load truck with ADAS purchased by Waste Pro began in April for drivers, supervisors, and technicians. Waste Pro is incorporating this technology in its fleets starting with 2022 model year vehicles with an initial order of 50 trucks.
“Investing in vehicles with advanced safety features, like Autocar’s trucks equipped with ADAS, is so important for Waste Pro,” said Safety Director Romeo Vellutini. “Not only do these kinds of trucks protect our staff, the public and our customers, they also are critical in investing in our employees and promoting from within so we have the best of the best behind the wheel of our customer service vehicles.”
Autocar is the first truck manufacturer to offer ADAS technology in the industry, and the National Highway Transportation Safety Board is now pushing for all truck manufacturers to incorporate it over the next several years.