When used in waste hauling applications, hydraulic hooklift-equipped trucks with interchangeable roll-on/roll-off containers can offer significant benefits.
By Andy Jansma
Few users appreciate the day-after-day advantages of hydraulic hooklift systems more than those in the waste removal and recycling business. In the industry, truck bodies in the form of refuse containers are often left onsite to be filled with waste over time. The operator schedules a regular stop with their hook loader-equipped truck or waits for a call.
Next, they drop off an empty container and haul the filled one to the landfill or a recycling facility for dumping before moving on the next container pick-up/drop-off point. One chassis, one operator and multiple roll-on/roll-off bodies can work with 100 percent use.
The Advantages of Hook Loaders
While roll-off hoists with cables and winches can promise some of the same benefits, they cannot surpass the advantages of hook loaders. When used in waste hauling applications, hydraulic hooklift-equipped trucks with interchangeable roll-on/roll-off containers can:
• Haul more loads: More efficient than cable hoists, hydraulic hook loaders can load and unload quickly, switching out containers in about three minutes. Many operators can make two or three more trips per shift with a hooklift over a cable setup.
• Work more safely: Cable loaders require drivers to get out of the cab, hook up the cable, operate the controls at truck-side and reel in the load. It is slow. It is often cold, wet, or otherwise, miserable. Not so with a hook loader. The driver controls the operation more quickly, more comfortably and more safely while inside the cab. This reduces their exposure to the elements and moving machinery. It also lessens your exposure to insurance claims for worker’s compensation.
• Lift stuck containers: It is common for refuse containers to settle into construction site mud or freeze onto other surfaces after long exposure to the snow or cold rain. With double-acting rear pivots, hooklifts can break the seal, lift the load and go without undue delay.
• Dump loads easily: With a hydraulic hooklift-equipped truck, emptying full waste containers is no challenge. Hook loaders do double-duty as dump trucks. What’s more, they operate with extreme dump angles to enhance efficiency.
• Maneuver in tight spaces: Many hydraulic hooklift systems can attach to bodies up to 60° radius. Your drivers will offer a sigh of relief; the lineup no longer needs to be painstakingly perfect.
• Operate with tarps: Manufacturers offer a full range of accessories and related equipment for hydraulic hook loaders. Of course, these include tarp systems for dump or waste container bodies.
Safer and Faster
Hooklifts are designed to pick up, transport and unload your containers safer and faster. That means larger profits for you. No matter what your specific distribution needs, you can find the right hooklift system for your truck. | WA
Andy Jansma is the U.S. General Manager for Marrel Corporation (Rockford, MI), Ampliroll Division. He has more than 35 years of experience with hook loaders and other waste equipment. Andy has also designed many types of specialized equipment for use in the waste industry. Ampliroll Hooklift Systems are manufactured by the Marrel Corporation—the inventor of the dual-pivot hook loader in 1969 and first again in bringing them to users across the U.S. in 1980. Today, Ampliroll supplies premier hook loader systems and associated equipment. Unlike many others, Ampliroll offers a complete selection of truck-mounted accessories and roll-on/off bodies that they can supply as a package with their hook loaders, allowing for single-source acquisition. Customers select from aerial lifts, cranes, grapple systems and more. Also choose from cement mixers, dump bodies, flatbeds, septic pumpers, waste containers, water tankers and other interchangeable bodies. In addition, customers can select from Ampliroll’s line of high-quality pre-owned hooklift vehicles. For more information, call (616) 863-9155, e-mail email@example.com or visit https://amplirollusa.com.
Visit Ampliroll Hooklifts – Marrel Corp at the Waste Expo, Booth #1985.